Have you ever thought about getting a tattoo? You really want one but you have no idea what to get inked? Or maybe like me, you wanted one for a very long time but final decision if to do it comes and goes in waves?
Well, here I am for you, to tell you my story and give you some tips that will help get through this experience as painless and pleasant as possible. I’ll answer all your questions you may have and hopefully it will help you to make the big decision!
Let’s start with the story, shall we?
I wanted to have a tattoo since I was 13. I was a huge Johnny Depp fan, so you kinda understand. Although I didn’t know what I’d like to have tattooed. 13 was too young to get anything that permanent which I understood. When I was 17 I was thinking about getting a sparrow. That time (for a few months) I believed I’d never have better idea and I wanted to get it asap. I’m very impatient in general, probably I was even more in my teenage years. I told my parents. They said: Ok, but wait a year. If you’ll still want this tattoo after that time you can get it. Against my impatience, I thought it was quite a good idea. So I waited. Few months later I stopped even thinking about it. I wasn’t sure if I want it anymore. When I was 21 I was so relieved I didn’t decide to do it. I wouldn’t like it. But 1 year later I started to think about having a tattoo again. This time feeling was stronger than ever. I just came back from a trip to New York and I fell in love with the city that much, without any doubt I knew that design had to be related with this place. I was sketching and trying what I would like the most. Hundreds of ideas went through my head. I decided to make it simple and quite small. I always knew my tattoo has to be descreet. After all, it was just for myself. The other rule was that it had to be mine project, 100% my drawing. Finally I decided to get just the contour (clear, simple black line) of the NY state with little black dot where NYC is. I thought I was a genius. Again, the best design I ever thought of. That I will never get bored of it and I’d love it forever. Well… as you can see on the cover photo I don’t have it. I have a flower motiv with peonie and tulip. I’m still thinking about some New York tattoo, but I want to give it a time. To make it more special I wish to do it there, when I’ll come back. As for the tattoo I have, its story starts when I met my boyfriend. He showed me he has tattoo in the same place. He did it when he turned 18. Didn’t tell anyone. He did it because he wanted it and didn’t think this through too much. I don’t think he regrets it, though. Maybe someday he would like to change it a little bit, but i believe he’s happy with it. So then I knew I had to have it in the same place. I started to go through pinterest for hours. Suddenly I saw tattoos with flower motiv and I fell that’s is! I was ready! I had the chosen place on my body, the design and the time felt right! I started to sketch again. Before, I read a lot about different kind of flowers. They’re meaning and history. I chose my favorite one which is peonie and decided to pair it with tulip which represents my boyfriend. He’s from Netherlands.
I got this tattoo made by my friend from my Academy. He’s super talented. Recently, after graduating he got into doing tattoos. I trusted him a lot and I knew he will be the only person I want to get tattoo from. The price was also funny since he was just around a year in business and we knew each other. He did such a great job I couldn’t believe it! I love that tattoo and I couldn’t be happier I got it! It’s very feminine, kinda retro and delicate. Also it is very symbolic and looks exactly how my sketch!
Let me know how you like it!
- Before appointment meet with your tattooist few times (or as much nessecary) and talk about the project, show him/her your drawings if you have some and just talk the ideas through. It will stay on your body forever so you better be sure what you want! If you feel hesitance don’t do it. Wait a little. Nobody is pushing you. Do it in your own time when it feels right.
- Choose your tattooist very wisely! Whatch his/hers art and see if his/ hers style matches your idea. Everyone has their own style or preferred things they ink so you have to be sure you like it!
- Bring distraction(s)! For me watching youtube from my phone really helped.
- How much it hurts only depends on your personal pain level also the area of your body you decide to have a tattoo. Bone areas hurt the most.
- Eat well before appointment. Bring some drinks and snacks.
- Wear comfortable clothes.
- First moment hurts the most, then you get used to pain. It’s not that bad I promise.
- Before getting tattoo buy some cream to use it later and help to heal the place. (for example: Bepanten, Alantan).
- When you’re done leave your tattooist a tip.
- After getting tattoo don’t let the place be wet. Protect it in a shower with some foil and tape.
That’s all Loves! Let me know what you think about tattoos! Do you like them? Would you do it? Or do you already have it? What is your dream tattoo?
Do you have any questions? Ask away! ❤️